In celebration of the Prom centennial, the Sunset Empire Park and Recreation District hosted a chalk art contest on the Seaside Promenade.
Portland artists Bev Cordova and May Wallace offered a class in chalk art last Friday at the Sunset Recreation Center, providing contestants with a chance to learn how to create chalk art using pastels.
On Saturday, contestants created art on the Seaside Prom between Ocean Way and First Avenue. The event was open to patrons of all ages and skill levels, and included 21 participants from age 6 to 73.
A panel of judges including Mayor Jay Barber and library director Esther Moberg chose the winning entries. Visitors to the Prom also weighed in, voting on the People’s Choice Award.
• Best representation of the Prom Centennial theme: Bob Weidman
• Best representation of marine life: Kelsey Potter
• Best representation of the spirit of Seaside: Roy Sanchez
• Best kids entry: Madison Ziemer
• Best adult entry: Robin Montero.
• People’s Choice Award Roy Sanchez