Firefighters respond to a two-alarm blaze near the Seaside Golf Course Tuesday.
Firefighters from throughout Clatsop County responded to a fire early Tuesday afternoon at the Seaside Golf Course that destroyed a utility shed and vehicle.
Seaside Fire and Rescue responded to the property when the shed was fully engulfed in flames.
No one was hurt in the blaze, Seaside Fire Chief Joey Daniels said at the scene. The fire likely started in the shed, where fuel for the golf course is stored.
A GMC pickup truck and equipment inside and outside the shed suffered extensive damage. A house next to the shed sustained minor damage.
“Going towards the house when we got here, our number one concern was the house, because the other stuff was fully involved,” Daniels said. “We stopped it from going into the house.”
“Immediately there was a huge puff of black smoke,” Mayor Jay Barber said. Barber, who lives across from the golf course, described a series of booms coming from the golf storage area. “I thought, man, somebody has set off a bomb. It was loud and you could almost feel the compression of it.”
Dozens of firefighters around the county, including the state fire marshal, responded to the scene.
“It could have been a lot worse because we had a lot of fuel and pesticides here when we first got here,” Daniels said.